Skip to main content

Running My First Race

The start of 2014 was very exciting for me.

Back in early October, when I returned from our honeymoon in Disney, I decided that I wanted to try running so that someday, I could run one of the Disney race events they have every year. I had been taking a good dose of prednisone (20mg) and figured if I ever was going to try running again, this would be the time. I had attempted running a few years ago for a month or two and had to stop because of my joints. In addition to the desire to run through Disney, I was also inspired by two online friends I had met, Lucy and Heidi, who both also have Sjögren's and have either participated in races, or were planning on doing so.

As I have blogged before, I took the running thing seriously, especially because of my joint, fatigue, and respiratory issues. I read a lot of books, magazines, and online articles about strengthening exercises and I made sure I did regular yoga and Pilates classes, which greatly helped my running and overall health. Sometime in October, I started the Jeff Galloway Easy 5K training program. I highly recommend it if you are a new runner. It is a run/walk program that gradually builds up your stamina and endurance. I found the run/walk concept (I do a 1min./1 min. ratio) to be much less daunting than trying to run an entire distance. I also started regularly using a foam roller for my muscles, which has helped me physically in so many ways besides in terms of my running.

My goal was to run a 5K on January 1st; a race called Gordy's First Race in Westfield, Massachusetts. I figured it was a good way to start the New Year and yet, gave me enough time to complete the entire Jeff Galloway program. The bottom line is, I don't know how hard running is for everyone else, but it is very difficult for me and I wanted to make sure I was well-prepared. I also knew that by January, my prednisone dose would be significantly less and that fact worried me a little bit.

Getting race ready!

New Year's Day was the day of the race. I was doing OK from a physical standpoint, but sleep was hard to come by the night before; not an unusual thing for me unfortunately. And the closer we got to Westfield, the more nervous I became. What on earth did I think I was doing?? A 5K race is not meant for an overweight 40-something year old with severe autoimmune issues. Or so I thought. My husband and I drove to Westfield, got our race bib numbers, and spent some time warming up by jogging/walking for a few minutes. My brother, Dennis, also was running the race with us. By this point, I was hyped up on adrenaline.

Pre-race: my husband, me, and my brother.

I have to say, there is nothing like the atmosphere of a race. I would guess that there were about 200 runners present; some were doing a 5K and some a 10K. I thought it would be better to start at the back of the pack because I am so slow and because I do a combination of running and walking. I told my husband and brother that I wanted them to not worry about running with me and see how well they could do, since they are both in much better physical shape than I am in. It was pretty cool that I then heard someone shouting my name. I looked over at the spectators and there was my mom who had showed up to cheer me on!

Off we went and within about a minute or two, the ENTIRE pack was way ahead of me, except for two women behind me. I suspected that this might happen because I had checked last year's results and most of these runners appeared to be very fast! I tried to stay focused on my breathing and my stride, but all of a sudden I was faced with one of several hills that occurred the first half of the race. Although I had looked at a course map beforehand, I was surprised by the incline.

This is where I panicked a bit and totally lost focus.
I actually considered turning around I was so panicked.

The problem with panic is that is increases your heart rate and breathing, which for someone like me, who already struggles with that, it makes things a lot worse. It did not help that the temperature was about eighteen degrees and I was running into the wind. That's what happens when you sign up for a January race in New England!!

As I tackled the hills,I found myself needing to do much shorter intervals of running/walking then in my training runs. I had done a little bit of hill running in my three months of training, but apparently not enough. Then I saw some people standing outside their homes on the race route. And I saw the traffic cops. They were cheering me on. Here I was running by myself (I kind of regretted that!), with nobody around me because I was so behind everyone else, and they were all cheering me on. It helped, a lot. I tried to settle myself down and decided that no matter what happened, I was finishing this race. I worked so hard for this. This was MY race; not anyone else's. I was only in competition with myself.

Lone ranger!

Because the race was up and back, people started to run towards me on their way back to the finish line. I was not even halfway yet, not even close. I saw my brother run past me and then my husband. He had my asthma inhaler on him and I thought it might help if I took another hit. That was a HUGE mistake. What was I thinking?? All it did was jack up my heart rate some more and didn't help my breathing. Live and learn.

My husband then decided, against my protests, to do the rest of the race at my side. He wasn't taking no for an answer. I felt bad because he could have finished well, but to be honest, he was a huge help. As we hit the halfway mark and turned around, other runners would race past us. It was probably obvious that I was struggling, but several of them yelled out words of encouragement to me as the sped past us.

"Keep going!"
"You're doing great!"
"You can do it!"

It was simply amazing. Let me tell you, if you are a good runner, are experienced at races, and see someone like me struggling, yell something out to them. NEVER underestimate the power of a few words. You never know the challenges someone else is facing when they are attempting to do something like this. So to all those strangers who rooted for me, thank you. I am forever grateful.

Not too long after we started back towards the finish line, I realized that I forgot to check my watch  to see what my pace was. This was the whole point of wearing one; that's how out-of-sorts I was compared to my training runs! I looked down and realized that I was running a 14-15 minute mile, which was even better than I expected, especially with those hills. I was doing fine if I stopped comparing myself to everyone else. I also came to realize that the two women who were behind me when we started never turned around, which meant that they were doing the 10K and I would probably come in last for the 5K. I put that out of my head and just concentrated on one foot in front of the other.

I knew the finish line was coming and it was important to me to finish strong, but my lungs were on fire. And I mean fire!! My legs held up pretty good, but those lungs...geez. The traffic cops kept cheering us on. The elite runners kept shouting words of encouragement. My husband kept reminding me what I was supposed to do, like breathe. We rounded the corner that led into the front of the school where the finish line was. I knew that I was overdoing it and probably wasn't getting enough oxygen at this point, but I saw the finish clock all lit up and the banner. I saw my mother and brother at the finish line and honestly, I would drop to the ground at this point before I would stop running.

My goal was to do the race in under 50 minutes. My official time was 45:13. By far, my best time ever, by several minutes.

Finish line!

I will admit, I wasn't feeling too hot, but I walked around, drank a ton of water. I don't have any other races to compare this to, but I thought Gordy's Race was very well run. There was plenty of pizza, hot chocolate, and water afterwards, although since I was starting a new eating plan to help with my autoimmune issues, it was just water for me. We waited around for the race people to post the final results to see if I indeed came in last like I suspected.

I did not come in last. I came in second to last.

Guess who came in last?
My husband.

One of the worst photos of me ever taken. But look at my husband's expression!

I was so focused on trying to finish without passing out that I didn't realize when we crossed the finish line, he had put me in front of himself; just so I wouldn't be last. Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered to me at that point. I was so proud to just finish. But the gesture was so unbelievably touching that when I was posting a Facebook update from the car on the way home, I started bawling like a baby. He's my biggest fan. My biggest champion.

I woke up the next morning feeling different about myself, mentally. The physical effects were still lingering a little, mostly the asthma stuff because really, asthmatics probably should not be running in cold temps like that. But mentally, that was a different story. I felt like I had accomplished something huge. Something that some people told me I would never be able to do. And I did it. Who knows what else I might be able to accomplish physically over the next six months or so. Maybe a longer race. Maybe a faster race. Maybe I can get off prednisone. Maybe I can go back to work.

Running this race, with all those other athletes, made me feel like more than my illness. Instead of cursing my body for what it can't do, I could feel proud of it for what it can do.

Completely life-altering.


  1. Absolutely one of your best blogs ever, Christine!!!!

  2. Christine,
    I am so so happy for you. How awesome. I could kiss your husband on the forehead! What a gem. And how glorious to finish the race...

  3. It's funny how empowering simply finishing a 5K can be when facing the health problems we have!

  4. I LOVED reading this!! You amaze me. You had every valid excuse possible NOT to finish (or even start) that race, but you were so determined that you did it. And your husband sounds absolutely incredible!! I'm so proud of you!

    1. Thanks, Katie. That means a lot to me coming from you! I have found so much inspiration over on your blog in regards to running and weight management. Here's to continued success for both of us!

  5. So inspiring! Thank you for sharing and yes, I agree with the others, your husband is awesome as well!

  6. Great job Christine! Keep it up!!

    1. Thanks! Today is my first run since the 5K and I am looking forward to it.

  7. Chills chills chills! Loved reading about your first 5K! Out of the 3 5K's I've run, I've come in last in 2 of them (although the Color Run doesn't quite count since there were a lot of walkers!). You hubby is amazing and such a wonderful support system for you! I don't know you but I am very proud of your wonderful accomplishment! Keep up the excellent work! I also have an autoimmune disorder. I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.

    So very glad that I found your blog through Runs for Cookie's Motivational Monday! I look forward to reading more about you and your progress in becoming a runner!

    1. Hi Desiree! Thanks for your comment. I am glad you found me too because that means now, I have found you. I am looking forward to spending some time on your blog later today. Except for my two friends mentioned in my original entry, I haven't met too many runners with autoimmune illnesses. I also have a clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden so I can empathize with your antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. I have a corresponding Facebook page for this blog under the same name (as I saw that you do) which might make it easier to stay in touch.

    2. Just sent you a like from my fitness page as well as a personal like! Looking forward to reading more of your story as well!

  8. I found your story from your post on Runs for Cookies Motivational Mondays and I just want to congratulate you on an awesome run!! First or last you RAN a 5k! That's amazing and you should be proud. I teared up reading what your husband did, what a great guy!

  9. I found your story via Katie and was almost in tears reading it. Congratulations on such a phenomenal first 5K! - Jess

    1. Thanks Jess and thank you for taking the time to read it!

  10. Saw you from Runs for Cookies. Congrats on your race, and that is so sweet of your husband to finish behind you.

  11. I would like to know more about how you trained. I looked up Jeff Galloway's site and I am still unclear as to how long you run vs walk and when you change it. Could you email me or write a post about it?

    1. I used the Jeff Galloway Easy 5K app on my iPhone which was free. You download the app and it takes you day by day what you should do. The instructions are pretty easy. I initially set it at a run/walk interval of 2 min run/2 min walk, but as the weather got colder here and affected my lungs, I reduced it to 1 min run/ 1 min. walk. There are a bunch of options on the program that allow you to pick your ratio. As you run, the program tells you when the 1 min is up and you can also add in your music from your iPhone. What I really liked was how the program automatically slowed or quickened the beats per minute of your music depending on whether you are running or walking.

  12. First time on your blog. Routed from Run for Cookies. I should say this race report is really a motivation to not drop it when you feel you cant make it rather to affirm to yourself you can and to give everything to achieve it.This is also the first race report which made me cry , reading the support your dear hubby gave you to finish the race and the care to not make you finish last(am an emotional fool i know). Loud cheers for both of you.

    1. Thank you for stopping by! I still cannot reread it and not tear up/cry.

  13. Hi Christine,
    I stumbled upon your blog while researching LDN. I saw that you had tried it awhile back. Are you still taking it?
    I'm trying to find out as much as possible from others before I start it.

    p.s. your blog is a great blessing.
    God bless!!

    1. Thank you for the kind words!

      I was still taking LDN until a couple of nights ago. I stopped it for a bit to see if I would still do well without it. Because of insomnia issues related to the LDN, I have to set an alarm every night for 2am to take the dose. If I takes it at bedtime, I am oftentimes awake for the day at 2am. I have had some good success in the past week or so with drastically changing my diet to control my symptoms. That all being said, if I start to have some issues, I will go right back on the LDN as it has helped me.

      If you look over to the right of this page, there is a list of topics I have blogged about and you will see LDN or low-dose naltrexone. Those entries might be helpful to you. I highly suggest trying it, unless you are routinely on narcotics....then it is difficult. Good luck!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse

After careful consideration and a lot of research, I made a decision after the holidays to embark on a cleanse/detox. I will start by saying that I have never done anything like this before, mostly because I don't believe in fad diets, or any diet for that matter, and also because I'm not sure, with all my health issues, how good it would be for my body.

However, I had been having some new digestive issues and some of my other autoimmune symptoms were acting up sporadically here and there. I also really overdid it and made some consistently bad food choices over the holidays and I was trying to get my food cravings under control. The digestive issues were not anything severe that impaired my daily living, but I am slightly paranoid about my family history of ovarian cancer and I am at the age my mom was when she was diagnosed. The most overlooked and under recognized symptoms of ovarian cancer are the digestive issues I was having such as bloating, gas, and constipation. Sinc…

Low Dose Naltrexone

In my last blog entry I discussed my current experiences with an integrative medicine doctor. (Going Down the Road of Integrative Medicine). In that entry, I mentioned a new medication I was prescribed by this doctor called low dose naltrexone (LDN) and I think that it is worthy of its very own blog entry so here we go. Be forewarned, it's a bit complicated...

Since we have the modern day miracle of Google, I am not going to spend a lot of time describing LDN and exactly how it works, but I think there are some basics that are important. Naltrexone is a medication that was created in the late 1970's as a treatment for heroin overdose and subsequently used in larger doses (50-300 mg) to treat heroin addicts. It blocks the opiate receptors in our body, which are also found on immune system cells. The next discovery, in the 1980's, was that naltrexone at lower doses (hence why it is called low dose naltrexone), blocks these opioid receptors and increases the endorphin level…

Sjogren's and Disability

I have been reading a lot of posts of the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation Facebook page lately about disability for this disorder. People seem to have a lot of questions and comments not only about the process itself of obtaining disability, but also about the journey which is at best, extremely stressful. Having gone through the arduous process myself, I thought it might be helpful to blog about my experience in the hope that someone may find the information useful or at the very least, know that they are not alone in their struggles and frustration with getting through this system.

My journey with disability began in 2008 when I was put on short term disability through my former employer. After a period of time (I believe it was ninety days), it converted to long term disability which was a benefit I had elected through my employer, thank god. What that meant was that a private disability company, contracted through my employer, paid me sixty percent of my previous year's gro…